Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The Battery Effect: How The Company You Keep Can Drain You

One of the most amazingly surreal things that I must point out immediately is that not ONE of any of the people (mostly men) who Mr. Karimov has connected me with, have been disrespectful or rude. Not one.
Considering the language barrier, the lack of knowing who I am, and the cultural differences, all, yes, ALL of the men who train, work with, or know him have all been the most delightful or helpful people ever.All of them.
Mr. Karimov himself has taken so much time from his schedule to answer any of my questions, has shown me archived footage, shared photos and even gone as far as to Skype with me! How cool is that? Very.
Considering , for the most part, I can't even get a response from one of the biggest Russian Martial Arts factories here..without jumping through a zillion hoops. Coincidentally, this is the same factory that I have dumped a ton of money into. Good luck trying to get on their forum , email list or getting a question answered.
This goes back to what I like to officially now call , " The Battery Syndrome". I am not sure of the direct origin of this phrase, but my fiancee told me about it a few years ago. Basically, if you are a fully charged battery, and you are around nothing but negatively charged batteries, then you too, will become a negative battery. If you are around positively charged batteries, you will remain positive. Perhaps even if you are a negatively charged battery and surround yourself with positive ones, then you will up your game. If you take the battery part of the equation and replace it with "humans", then there ya' have it.
Brings me back to what I have recently been through on this journey. Not that long ago, a school here in the U.S. posted a very sexually explicit, demeaning and disturbing "ice bucket challenge" video.
I.LOST.IT.
How on earth is this going to HELP women in Systema in the U.S.? If you read the comments after the video(now deleted), you would damn near think that this behavior, was completely OK by U.S. standards. And you know what....? It was.
As I sat in shock and watched the video , over and over, with the school's logo, insignia and owner partaking in the background, I noticed one MAJOR issue. Not one instructor associated with the international program said anything...not publicly anyway.
The fact that this was even an "ok idea" was completely absurd. I had just mentioned to several of my female friends who had been interested in Systema , that it was a completely balanced art, and that they would surely be welcome at any school. I was mortified. And to think some of the more sought after international instructors had daughters...just....ick. How would they feel that one of their largest earning schools/networks considered this an "ok" practice? What about respect , as a whole, for who you are representing as a school?
As I launched into an online melee of sorts over the whole deal, I had to ask....
How does this happen?
Batteries.
Some of these men, clearly do not take into consideration there are women who are eager , and willing to jump into a class and spend hundreds of dollars a year on a program that doesn't really have anything for them. We do it because we *think* it will help our self defense strategies. And , if you have the right instructor, it will. I was VERY fortunate to have an amazing instructor. Who , most certainly treated me the way he treated anyone else. He didn't care if I had female anatomy. He only cared if I was understanding the information. He only cared if I got it. He only cared if I showed up to class and participated. I was lucky.
How does this pertain to Mr. Karimov?
As I stated before, not one individual who I have met through him , has been even almost rude. Not one. My training here in the U.S., it is easier for me to count the 5 or so men who HAVEN'T been complete moral apes. Maybe Mr. Karimov has absolute standards in the company he keeps. Maybe, just maybe, he has expectations of his instructors, collegues and students. Maybe , this is Systema at it's finest. Maybe, this is how it realllllly should be.
The main prompt of writing this today also came on the heels of an online conversation I had with another martial artist. Midway through our chat, he said the following:

Man:" oh..oh you're a woman???!! I AM SO SORRY! I thought I was talking to a man! "
Me:"It's ok, I get that alot, I mean.. in person, with my hair up..although I think my profile picture doesn't really look masculine"
Man: "It wasn't really your picture, it was the manner in which you were candidly asking questions and debating my statements so profoundly"


This is an actual copy and paste with names deleted to protect privacy. This, really did happen.
The Systema Factory (I think I'm gonna just call it that for short) here in the U.S. has become a big one full of self absorbed, ego filled people who want to be on top. As I have reached out to "other" strains of Systema, I noticed something....the men..of the other versions, not so ape like. They kinda just want you to learn some basic information. Ok so maybe they don't have the best personalities or maybe it's BECAUSE I am female and not many women ask them technical questions, but you can kinda see , they are just eager, passionate people. In fact, I am going to go as far as to say, they have been far more valuable as a training resource than I could have possibly imagined. Including Mr. Karimov, to date, I have more than enough "other strains of Systema friends" than I could have possibly dreamed of. This makes me even question my own battery strength. While I have nothing really informative to share, the one thing these men have said to me was "thank you".
WHAT? Thank "me"?
I don't understand it either, but as a close friend of mine put it, "maybe you let them know there is something they are missing by being female and just talking to them about this stuff"
I hope so.
I really do hope standards of practice change here in the U.S. and I really hope instructors hold their students and themselves to a higher level or moral code than what has been put out there. As I continue conversations with Mr. Karimov and his instructors, I think that is the one thing we may have missed the boat on here. I am always amazed at how his instructors are amazed by my stories of anti-female sentiment, lack of incorporating women, and complete loss of the psychological instruction needed to become a decent practitioner.
Now, I am far from living a complete moral code of emotionally and psychologically healthy infused Systema, but am working my way there. It is alot harder than doing knuckle pushups, situps, squats, and rolls.
Also, there are some great, wonderful U.S. instructors out there. Amazing men, who have nothing but kindness emoting from their hearts. You will know them when you see or meet them.
The man with the huge smile, that's Andrey Karimov. 
follow us on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment