Thursday, November 12, 2015

George Borrelli's review of training with A.Karimov

My experience training with Andrey Karimov, Siberian Cossacks Systema.

George Borrelli of Systema Colorado Springs, 12 November 2015.

I participated in training with Andrey Karimov in Austin Texas, seven days, 31 Oct – 6 Nov, 2015. Training hosted and logistics worked by Olivia Overturf of Cowboys and Cossacks, Austin, Texas. It was my very first exposure to Andrey or Olivia. This essay explains what led me to train with Andrey and the value received.

I'm a lifetime martial artist, having studied numerous styles for decades, starting in Judo at age four. I've spent the recent 4+ years with a focus on Russian Systema. I subscribe to all the Russian Martial Arts (RMA) and have purchased and study scores of videos, books, and pamphlets describing the various approaches. I've been teaching martial arts for many years, it is all that I do. I've had a focus upon developing high level self defense skills, using minimal muscular power. That includes the generation of high levels of physical power in strikes, throws, and take downs.

In searching endlessly for defense concepts for those out-powered, out-numbered or out-weaponed, RMA rises to the top of a crowded number of competing and compelling martial arts. After decades with many/most other arts, I've settled into RMA, specifically the various incarnations of Russian Systema.

Like many others enamored with Systema, E've searched for the very best instructors to relay to us the fundamentals in a clear manner for us to assimilate. I have my favorite instructors in the Vasiliev school and will continue to both train and hold high regard for their work.

As I've trained quite a lot, traveling throughout North America, I find disconcerting symptoms with the approach most common to training Russian Systema. That approach might be described as “allowing” the student to explore, experiment, and interpret in his own way what the Master is attempting to convey. Typically the Systema Master will demonstrate the high-end skills, then let the students explore, mostly on his/her own. Essentially opposite from the Traditional Asian Martial Arts, where every detail is typically described, and endlessly practiced for perfection, from foundational movement including the detailed position and torque of each toe, all the way up to complex fighting skills. Both approaches have strengths and weaknesses, and come from seemingly opposite directions. With both approaches it takes a very long time to master. For the majority today, more time is necessary than they can invest. Although the students no doubt gain various values in the training, it takes more time than they have to develop effective fighting and self defense skills. Sadly some drop out and seek a “faster” self defense approach from systems like Krav Maga, BJJ, or even MMA. I've found in most Systema classes and schools, only a few of the practitioners come close to genuine ability to defend and worse several students are lost souls, not being able to quite grasp Systema. I think it's problem caused by a combination of the Systema approach to teaching and the lack of time the student invests in the training. Occasionally it is a lack of mastery by an instructor as transmission can only take place from master to student.

I felt that I needed a combination of personal transmission from masters, with freedom of exploration and details on fundamentals, with foundational drills in specificity. I've been around the martial arts a long time and have been in too many real street fights. I found drills of fundamentals saved me every single time. I put in a lot more time than the average student but even with the time I can put in I lacked a Systema Master close enough to develop my own personal mastery to the level I was after. I found myself spending a lot of time and money traveling to get more time with Systema Masters in the hope that I could fill in the gaps in my knowledge and execution. It takes a lot of time with them to learn in that personal tradition. I also sought intellectual understanding and bought videos and books from other RMA leaders, who spend time explaining the details, such as Kadochnikov, Paul Genge, Val Riazonov, Dmitriy Skogorev, Kevin Secours, Денис Ряузов (Denis Ryauzov), Vadim Starov, and others. Even then I didn't get quite enough, so began/resumed training in TCMA (Traditional Chinese Martial Arts) and FMA (Filipino Martial Arts) as well as some BJJ, Aikido, and jujitsu, where I found many keys that I brought back to my personal Systema.

Knowing I needed ample time exposure to Systema Masters, I looked for and found ways to get more hours per dollar. Cowboys and Cossacks of Austin Texas planned to host a Master from Russia for a full week and possibly up to a month of training and exposure to him. I was in with that concept as it met the criteria and I was ready.

I had already been recording all the Systema concepts in writing as I learned and in turn taught them. High in importance of the core concepts is movement. I learned that movement is life. I learned and proved this beyond doubt in countless empty handed knife defenses. In 100% of the drills, if the guy defending didn't move off line, he died. What was missing for me was in-depth details of the movement and drills of them. There were/are drills but they tend to still contain a lot of the self exploration that goes along with them. I needed more specificity to fill out my personal Systema. I also had pretty good generalized ideas of the waves and figure eights already and the TCMA had convinced me of the importance of the hip movement. But there was still something missing.

I watched many Systema Masters effortlessly throw people. As I watched carefully, I could see uncanny resemblance to Aikido principals, just smaller and tighter. But I wasn't absolutely certain what the keys to success were in accordance with Systema. So I kept looking, trying, and analyzing.

At the Austin, Texas training Andrey Karimov showed us detailed hip and step movement and drilled us for hour upon hour and day upon day these fundamental movements, I knew that finally I was filling the gaps. I now had the “how” to move in great details. But Andrey's teaching goes far beyond this. He also gave me my own missing link to the Aikido concepts of the moving center of balance, and taking his into yours. Andrey's explanation and drills were eloquently simplified. Once we practiced the drills for hours, it was ingrained. I found myself tossing the largest man repeatedly to the ground without muscular battle and without his ability to resist. Andrey added music, similar to the way I see Paul Vunac of Bruce Lee's JKD use beats of the drum. That music is to help you move in waves, rhythmically, in control, and in calm. It helps you find the energy from one movement to launch your next movement. Most importantly it encourages you not to stop moving.

I have nearly zero interest in pure culture, maybe that's my own ignorance showing but I'm in this for the physical defense capability, not for learning how people dress or dance. That said, the training Andrey Karimov provided was entirely, every second of it, designed to make you a better fighter.

What I was realizing in the year or so prior to my exposure to Andrey is that dance-like movements actually make you a better fighter! Dance includes body carriage, structure, power in movement, proper breathing, keeping of your center, going with and leading the partner, moving efficiently and effectively, just to name a few characteristics. Andrey only included dance movement that is the basis of the actual fighting movement. He painstakingly showed us many fighting applications for each and every movement taught. In this way I got the details that I was searching the world for in rounding out my Systema knowledge and providing me with the drills to practice. When I used his three-step to get off line, when combined with loosely raising of the arms, immense power was launched off the the most powerful parts of my body and finally into the arms. If I continued to movement with a supple falling and rising either in reverse or in the circular pattern begun, partners simply fell. The gentle “leading” of the partner out of his “center” and either continued or reversal was one Systema concept I hadn't fully nailed until with Andrey. He helps you fill those gaps!

“Movement is life”. Not only that but the details of the foot work and hip movement are the basis of the Systema wave and figure eight power that comes from the body. Andrey provided us all of that! The power I could generate was incredible, simply following his foot/hip movement drills.

Finally, the model of teaching Andrey Karimov uses is the best I've found to date. It is “total immersion” with plenty of time to build up, starting with fundamentals. The closest I've seen to this is Martin Wheeler's four day Master Class or any one of the long duration Systema camps. Andrey prefers a full month! I found seven days helped me turn many corners in my Systema practice. I think without that amount of time, I wouldn't have had those breakthroughs. His making the training somewhat playful was a key in giving me the strength to last the entire week as it helped to keep me from over-doing and inserted some lightness in an otherwise very serious and productive training with a true Master.

In summary, Andrey Karimov's training is up there among the very best of RMA Masters. If you get the chance, you should give it a go. He's only been to the U.S. once. Should he return, jump on it! It may just make you the Systema Master you have long been striving to become. Further, the value for the dollar is unbeatable. His training is cost effective and his host, Cowboys and Cossacks work very hard to make it an affordable and very worthy investment in your personal training experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment