Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Sergey Zhukov: Rethinking Training Across the Board

About a year ago, I came across a video of some phenomenal skill I had never seen before. The title of the video was called "Russian Martial Arts Exercise 2 Riga Latvia TSA". Now, again, let me restate the fact that I am not a "martial artist" but I have been training off and on for some time. My training, never consisted of anything like this.
At about the time this video landed in my lap, I was recovering from a tragic miscarriage and was on bed rest for at least 3 months. My body, my abdominal area and my back were completely destroyed...my diaphragm was shot. I was a mess. I wanted to start back into a routine slowly but really had no idea where to start, again.
I am now aware that this is a common exercise developed in other art forms and there are indeed , instructors in the US who demonstrate this, but IMHO, none as smoothly and as well as he did. It wasn't even that it was smooth, it was that there clearly was something about his calm demeanor and peaceful energy, that just grabbed me through the screen. I immediately began trying to find out who he was, where he was, and where he taught.And I came up empty handed. I asked everyone I could think of. I think I even publicly posted about him on Facebook. Still, nothing.
Finally one day(albeit it 6 months or so later), someone told me who he was and WHERE he was(faceplant). I managed to contact him and was so extremely thrilled by his pleasant demeanor and openness. Again, this was something not really felt in the larger community in the US( in my opinion). I was amazed at his description of flowing, movement and the inevitable " be like water". My ass, could not be like water. I tried. I tried feverishly to recreate at least 5 seconds of his work. It was completely impossible. I knew, what I had learned, what I was learning and what I would continue to learn, may be in all actuality, a lie. I had zero control over my movement on the floor and no matter how many situps, pushups and squats I was doing, this routine was impossible. This , my friends, was the single video that changed everything I thought about RMA.
Once I finally admitted defeat, I began researching RMA in every language I could think of. I resourced my friends. I resourced my library. I stayed up for days. I watched a ton of Karimov videos and picked his brain relentlessly. I studied history, warfare, Cossacks, military movement , all from a Russian perspective(some I already knew, some I was able to get really deep into). I was determined to go to Russia, it was the only way to quench the desire I had for more.
Months went by and my computer crashed multiple times with info overload. I bought a laptop. It was full within weeks. My physical library was overloaded. I had databases in databases. I still do. I spent every second I could trying to unravel some of the most complex theories and practices of Russian Martial Arts and the Slavic Arts. All because of this video.

For me , going to Russia was not a choice. It was just the beginning. And much to my surprise Sergey Zhukov met me in St. Petersburg. I honestly thought it wouldn't happen.But once I saw his face, it was all I could do to not cry. I know..sounds cheesy BUT...he , along with Karimov, were the few faces behind opening my eyes into a different way of thinking.
Seeing Sergey in person was really just amazing. We exchanged basketball gifts and headed to a local park in Pushkin. Sergey softly explained to me how the basketball thing worked.

He related almost every move into what seemed to be an defensive or offensive technique. The movement can also apply to law enforcement. Dance. Flexibility.Strengthening. Breathwork. Meditation. This simple routine, could really change the way you train, yet rarely taught or explained. Sergey continued to talk about the difference between the word "relax" and "release". Anyone who's been to a Systema class or seminar for two seconds will hear the word "relax" used repeatedly. Yes. Repeatedly.
Sergey's overview was by far more intriguing. To relax , means the body is at rest completely as in ,"fight before bed". His thoughts on using the word "release" instead , in training, made much more sense to me. Release the tension in your body, so you can accept a punch, a blow, and disturbance.

Recently, I continued my "interview" with Sergey and he proceeded to tell me more. ..(roughly translated by Google Translate)
..on movement...
" In my understanding that there is a certain perception of the world around. This perception defines the articulation of movement. All of a person's real intentions show through movement. The basketball is simply a game with movement.I play with different movements and teach them to others. When you are able to move freely, then you stop comparing. Everything depends on you. The individual. Once you start to do something, the results are evident. (sic)."

...on training..." In training, we work with free movement without technology. The body is always changing load. If the load is small , it increases. If it is large, it is too much and becomes exhausted. I believe in "Triangle health" : moderate load, moderate power and moderate rest. It is a balance on all. The body is a great eye. To see all around the eyes must be open. The body must have ability to see danger. In my first stages of teaching and studies I teach how to free the body, how to remove pain from the body and how to remove fear from the body. This is what keeps the body closed. After each training session, the body becomes clearer and clearer.(sic)"

Sergey is currently a Slavic Arts bodyworker, but served as special forces and trainer for 26 years with five of those years in an anti-terrorism group. He trains and has trained in other arts such as karate, Thai boxing, Bujinkan, Aikido, Kali and Systema. He is also a part of T.S.A(tactical speed application) and has several videos online of his tactical training methodology developed to fill the gap for law enforcement and military ops.

  You can find out more about Sergey Zhukov, his skills and his work on Facebook.
   His You Tube page is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment