Sunday, January 4, 2015

Interview with Master Andrey Karimov Part 2-Finding A True Master

Not to toot my own horn, or Andrey Karimov's, but six months into learning from him, and I feel divinely refreshed. There still has not been one single day that I haven't learned something new, exciting, different or substantial from either him, his videos, or conversations with him. When I began my journey into wanting to learn more, my goal was to "learn what I was missing". I had no idea what that meant, or even what it could be. I assumed that my training, seminars , books, etc about Systema were sufficing, until I realized, they were not.
Turns out..there was alot more.
 As I type this, I can honestly assure you my computer is full of documents , drawings, pictures,

Woman training in Sambo(1991)
books, PDFs, diagrams and video...all in a language I know nothing about. I still , in all honesty, dare not call myself a martial artist. I am merely a student. And because I am a student, I wanted to find the best, for me. I deserved it. We all do.With  that being said, this has become a huge undertaking, full of surprises, passion, lack of sleep, commitment, enlightenment and learning. On finding a true master...part two of the interview with Master Andrey Karimov:....(roughly translated with Google Translate)

O.O.: On finding a good instructor or Master , what are some qualities to look for?

A.K.: There are two ways to become a Master, knowing these will help.
          1) Learn from other Masters who are at a higher level than yourself.
          2) Develop thinking to observe the world around you using divine laws of physics.

O.O.: Who or what determines the "master" in Martial Arts?

A.K. 1) Does not compete, does not try prove anything and likes what he does.
         2) A Master is accurate, but if  wrong, will smile about the error.
         3) Does not just use the words "you should" or "you can not do that." but uses more appropriate  and necessary terminology
         4) Able to hear and understand you and know how to use his words accordingly
         5)Does not consider it necessary to frequently use mystery and magic to explain what he was doing.
         6)Sees what's stopping you . A true master has the knowledge and has the ability to tell you                 simple words
         7)Able to wait until maturation of skill in the student; a Master is not in a hurry
         8)A Master does not like hypocrisy or flattery.
         9)A true Master is worthy of respect, but does not require it by force.
         10) To a Master, everything is simple and understandable, almost too simple.
         An example of this is a saying " I came to a village to find a man who is between the age of 80            and 100 who is respected by everyone and some even fear?"

O.O: When I first began watching your videos, I contacted you and immediately, I knew, you would be a great instructor for me and I would not accept less than that for myself. For those who do not have the means or resources to go train where and with whom they would like, what do you recommend?

A.K.: Sometimes we have to think and act by trial and error.It is better to travel half the world to find the best master.It saves time in the long term to find better for yourself.

O.O:Who inspired your journey to get to the level you are at today?

A.K.: I saw the eyes of elders, 90-100 years old, bright eyes, ready to see a miracle, and I wanted to be like them.

O.O.:How old were you when this happened?

A.K.: Twenty years old.

O.O.:When you were that age,did you think you would be at this level as you are now?

A.K.: I had the flair like a dog.But I found people to work with. I had persistence and a strong interest in learning.I knew I would get here sooner or later.

O.O.:Do you have the same expectations of your students?

A.K.: It's better to ask them. It isn't just me, but more a matter of principal.

O.O:When I watch your videos, I see constant dynamics of  laughter, concentration, partnership and community. Why is this sense of community is so important in learning Systema?
Common instruction with lecture.

A.K.: It answers the question of identity, who I am? Where do I belong? Commonality gives strength and energy. It provides physical and mental health balances.

O.O:Many times here , instructors are known for saying " it's your fault" . As in " it's your fault you were hurt in training"," it's your fault you did not progress", "it's your fault if you do not understand".How would you, as a psychologist, explain this phenomenon?

A.K.: If you are a Master, you'll be able to explain why and what to do.Anything else is not competent instruction.

O.O.:What are the warning signs a person can look for , if they feel they have a lower quality instructor?

A.K.:
    1)You do not understand what they are saying.
    2)The following words: " I have a certificate", "you have to listen to me", "you cannot do that"                (without explanation).
    3)The instructor does not allow you to go and learn from others
    4)You sweat alot,but still feel awkwardness in movement.

Олег Чернецов
Remember " repetition is the mother of learning and the consolation of fools".  And why? It is because "it is a mad house, and the key is lost".

O.O.: What do you look for in instructors in your program?

A.K.: Zest for life and the ability to train are enough! That is a start! If a person does not have these qualities , they cannot become an instructor.

O.O.:How do you view the growth and changes for Systema in the next few years.

A.K.: Systema is first and foremost , the ability to think and to reason.Then the interest to implement and follow through. I wish only everyone can come to understand that.

O.O.:You have been kind enough to talk to me frequently and this has made for an amazing learning experience! Would it be ok if others contact you with questions or advice?

A.K.: Yes! It is easy. Accessibility is another quality to look for in an instructor.

O.O.:Do you also recommend "self-study"?

A.K. Yes , the Family is the most powerful workout, along with surrounding society, and then personal psychology. Take care and be well!









No comments:

Post a Comment